Industrial engineers in energy and environmental egineneering score double. Because they know the challenges of protecting our environment and at the same time ensuring the supply of electricity and heat.
They know how to solve a technical problem and at the same time are familiar with business administration.
That is why industrial engineers are the interface between engineers and business economists and translate each other's technical language. An industrial engineer is always good at communication.
They optimize and design efficient processes, change the big picture and pave the way for a more sustainable future.
Structure of the studies
The business studies course in energy and environmental engineering is divided into four phases:
1. Basic studies
1st and 2nd semester: Basics
- mathematical-scientific: math, chemistry, physics
- economics: general business studies, financing, controlling, marketing
- engineering: technical engineering, thermodynamics, basics of applied biology, etc.
2. Advanced studies
3rd to 5th semester: Specialization in energy and environmental technology
- economics: marketing, business management, communication, human resources, project management, etc.
- engineering: urban hydrology, water supply, solar, water and wind energy, power plant construction, etc.
6th / 7th semester:
- From the 6th semester on you will gain practical experience
- either during a 12-week practical phase in a company
- or during an internship of at least 20 weeks or a semester abroad
4. Bachelor thesis
Then you write your Bachelor thesis.
- After successfully completing your studies, you will be awarded the academic degree Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng.). as an industrial engineer.
How to study
The energy, building and environmental technologies are based on a common foundation and pursue the same goal: the sustainable and efficient use of our resources.
Therefore, the Bachelor's degree programmes are interlinked.
Your studies are...
- interdisciplinary: Energy and environmental technology is in mutual exchange with building technology. Therefore, the structure of the program offers our students the opportunity to look beyond their own horizons. They not only learn to understand complex technical systems, but also to think interdisciplinary.
- practice-oriented: We train for practice. Many laboratory internships and excursions ensure that you do not lose sight of the application of your knowledge.
- networked and international: We are constantly working on cooperations with companies and universities. So you can expand your knowledge through practical training or a semester at another university - even abroad.
- strong in research and knowledge transfer: Our students have their finger on the pulse because they benefit from the knowledge gained from our research projects. We develop application-oriented solutions to current problems.
- flexibel: Your interests define the field in which you specialize according to the basics - you become an industrial engineer in energy and environmental technology. And you decide whether you want to complete your studies in seven or six semesters, i.e. with a practical phase or a practical/foreign semester.
You will learn in...
- Lectures in which the necessary theoretical basics are presented and explained.
- Exercises in which case studies and tasks are specifically prepared for examinations and practice.
- Internships in which practice-oriented knowledge is imparted in our laboratories and test halls and within the framework of field tests.
- Excursions to different building specific facilities.
There are a number of prerequisites for taking up an engineering course in energy technology:
University entrance qualification
As a rule, this is an Abitur or a Fachabitur.
Master craftsmen and similarly qualified people also have the opportunity to study at university, but some prerequisites must be fulfilled. In this case, feel free to contact us and arrange a consultation appointment.
As a prerequisite for your studies, you must have completed an 8-week internship. This should take place in a technical or predominantly technical area. Up to four weeks of this can also be completed in a commercial area. Please refer to the file below to find out in which professional fields you can do the internship. The internship must be proven by the beginning of the third semester.
If you have completed vocational training, this can be recognised instead. You can also find out which professions are suitable for this in the file below.
And after bachelor?
As a Bachelor of Engineering, you have the opportunity to complete an advanced Master's degree.
The EGU department also offers you four different Master's programmes.
The demand for industrial engineers in energy and environmental technology is constantly growing. On the job market, specialists and managers are in demand who are technically fit and are able to assess facts even in larger contexts. Our engineers are ideally suited for this due to their previous technical and scientific knowledge and strong economic training. Career prospects and pay are above average, and companies often recruit our graduates even before they graduate.
Industrial engineers in energy and environmental technology work, for example, for energy supply companies for electricity, gas or water as well as for municipalities and municipal utilities. They are all looking for industrial engineers who are able to assess issues in larger contexts.