How do you effectively heat a hotel? What is the most economical way to use solar power? Industrial engineers in building services deal with these and many other business and technical questions during their studies.
Industrial engineers in building services know how to solve a technical problem and also score points with knowledge from business administration. Later they work more communicatively: for example in marketing, controlling or management. They form the interface between engineers and business economists and translate each other's technical language. They optimize and design efficient processes, change the big picture and pave the way for a more sustainable future.
Structure of the studies
The economic studies of building services are divided into four phases:
1. Basic studies
1st and 2nd semester: Basics
- mathematical-scientifically: mathematics, chemistry, physics
- economics: general business studies, financing, controlling, marketing
- engineering: Materials science, electrical engineering, thermodynamics, etc.
2. Advanced studies
3. to 5. semester: Specialization in energy and environmental technology
- economics: marketing, business management, communication, human resources, project management, etc.
- engineering: heating, ventilation and sanitary engineering, building automation, refrigeration and heat pump technology
6th / 7th semester:
- From the 6th semester on you will gain practical experience
- either during a 12-week practical phase in a company
- or during an internship of at least 20 weeks or a semester abroad
4. Bachelor thesis
Then you write your Bachelor thesis.
- After successful graduation, you will be awarded the academic degree Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng.) as an industrial engineer.
How to study
The energy, building and environmental technologies are based on a common foundation and pursue the same goal: the sustainable and efficient use of our resources.
Therefore, the Bachelor's degree programmes are interlinked.
Your studies are...
- interdisciplinary: Energy and environmental technology is in mutual exchange with building technology. Therefore, the structure of the program offers our students the opportunity to look beyond their own horizons. They not only learn to understand complex technical systems, but also to think interdisciplinary.
- practice-oriented: We train for practice. Many laboratory internships and excursions ensure that you do not lose sight of the application of your knowledge.
- networked and international: We are constantly working on cooperations with companies and universities. So you can expand your knowledge through practical training or a semester at another university - even abroad.
- strong in research and knowledge transfer: Our students have their finger on the pulse because they benefit from the knowledge gained from our research projects. We develop application-oriented solutions to current problems.
- flexibel: Your interests define the field in which you specialize according to the basics - you become an industrial engineer in energy and environmental technology. And you decide whether you want to complete your studies in seven or six semesters, i.e. with a practical phase or a practical/foreign semester.
You will learn in...
- lectures, in which the necessary theoretical basics are presented and explained.
- Exercises, in which case studies and tasks specifically prepare for examinations and practice.
- Internships, in which practice-oriented knowledge is imparted in our laboratories and test halls and within the framework of field tests.
- Excursions to different building-specific facilities.
A number of prerequisites apply for the admission to a business studies course in building services engineering:
University entrance qualification
As a rule, this is an Abitur or a Fachabitur.
Master craftsmen and similarly qualified people also have the opportunity to study at university, but some prerequisites must be fulfilled. In this case, feel free to contact us and arrange a consultation appointment.
As a prerequisite for your studies, you must have completed an 8-week internship. This should take place in a technical or predominantly technical area. Up to four weeks of this can also be completed in a commercial area. Please refer to the file below to find out in which professional fields you can do the internship. The internship must be proven by the beginning of the third semester.
If you have completed vocational training, this can be recognised instead. You can also find out which professions are suitable for this in the file below.
And aafter bachelor?
The demand for industrial engineers in energy and environmental technology is constantly growing. On the job market, specialists and managers are in demand who are technically fit and are able to assess facts even in larger contexts. Our engineers are ideally suited for this due to their previous technical and scientific knowledge and strong economic training. Career prospects and pay are above average, and companies often recruit our graduates even before they graduate.
Industrial engineers in energy and environmental technology work, for example, for energy supply companies for electricity, gas or water as well as for municipalities and municipal utilities. They are all looking for industrial engineers who are able to assess issues in larger contexts.