German language courses for refugees at FH Münster - University of Applied Sciences
Who funds the FH PasS-Programme and why?
The programme for prospective students entitled to asylum (FH PasS) is supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and funded by the Ministry of Culture and Science of the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia (MKW-NRW).
The International Office at FH Münster - University of Applied Sciences has been offering the programme FH PasS since 2016. The aim of the programme is to prepare refugees for their studies at FH Münster - University of Applied Sciences by providing access to German language courses and other educational and cultural activities, leading in the long term to their successful intregration into higher education and employment.
What does the FH PasS offer?
- By taking part in our FH PasS German language courses you have the opportunity to achieve C1-level in German, which in turn will enable you to take up your studies at FH Münster - University of Applied Sciences. When you have reached level C1 in the final language course, you will be able to take part in an official German language examination for university entrance that will certify your level (for example: TestDaF).
- As a participant in the FH PasS programme, you will normally have the status of a guest auditor at FH Münster - University of Applied Sciences, which means that you will receive a user ID. With this user ID, you will be able to take part in selected further training events (e.g. workshops on intercultural skills and job application training). You will also be able to register for individual sessions from a list of taster lectures, enabling you to gain a first impression of studying at FH Münster - University of Applied Sciences and to test your language skills.
- The International Office will help you to choose workshops and taster lectures and to prepare your individual weekly timetable.
- As an FH-PasS participant, you may also take part in the social activities organised by the International Office.
All of the above-mentioned courses and activities will only take place subject to financing through the Ministry of Culture and Science.
What are the different levels of the German language courses offered by FH PasS?
FH PasS offers German language courses at two different levels:
- The Orientation German language course starts at level A2/B1 leading to level B2 after successful completion. Please note that this course does not include an official language examination at the end of the course. You will, however, receive a confirmation of attendance showing the level and duration of the course. If you want to take an official examination, you will have to bear the examination fees yourself.
- The pre-Study German language course starts at a B2 level leading to C1 level. The course will finish with an official German language examination for university entrance. A one-off examination fee coverage is included in the course.
Your German language level at the time of application, as well as other requirements, determine which of the two courses is the right one for you.
If your language level is at A1 - A2 level, you may also apply for FH PasS. After a one-on-one meeting with you, we will assess whether we can offer you a place on a suitable language course.
Requirements are the eligibility to study in Germany, as well as a clear motivation and will to pursue your studies at FH Münster - University of Applied Sciences.