Visa for studying in Germany

Depending on your home country, you may need a visa to enter Germany. You should apply for a visa as early as possible, since it may take a while for your application to be processed. It is vital that you apply for a study visa - a tourist visa will not suffice. When applying for a visa, you must prove that you have sufficient funds to study in Germany. For further information on visa issues, please contact the missions (embassies and consulates-general) of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Please note that you will be issued a visa for a specific subject at the specific university of your choice. This means that you are not permitted to change degree programmes or universities.

If you nevertheless intend to change your course or university for any reason, you should contact the Foreigners' Registration Office immediately to clarify whether an exception can be made in your case.

Applying for a place on the preparatory German as a Foreign Language course

For degree programmes held in German applicants from countries where German is not officially spoken must have sufficient command of the language to enable them to understand what is being said in lectures and other courses. For this reason, applicants must prove they have passed a recognised German proficiency test prior to taking up studies.

Applicants for degree programmes held in English, such as  the Master's in Chemical Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering, can study without having any knowledge of German.


Applying for a place on a degree programme

If you have already passed the German langauge examination or if you are interested in a degree programme held in English (e.g. Master's in Chemical Engineering or Master Materials Science and Engineering), you can directly apply for a place.


Um unsere Webseite für Sie optimal zu gestalten und fortlaufend verbessern zu können, verwenden wir Cookies. Weitere Informationen und die Möglichkeit zum Widerruf finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.
Seite drucken