Level of German skills required
The following certificates are recognised as proof of sufficient command of German:
- TestDaF (German as a Foreign Language Test),level 4
- DSH (German language test for admission to higher education), level 2
- "Deutsche Sprachdiplom (Level II) of the KMK" (taken at German schools abroad)
- "Kleine Deutsche Sprachdiplom" or "Große Deutsche Sprachdiplom" from the Goethe Institute
- "Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung" (ZOP) from the Goethe Institute and "Goethe-Zertifikat C2-GDS" respectively
- "telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule"
- UNICERT Certificate Level III or IV for German (at universities)
- Aptitute test in the preparatory course before studies (Studienkolleg), minimum grade 4 in German
You can only be admitted to a degree programme once you have proven sufficient command of German by passing one of these examinations, and have met all other requirements.
A good knowledge of German is an essential foundation for studying successfully. When applying for a place at university, you need to prove that you have passed a recognised language examination, such as TestDaF. The German intensive course with the German Language Academy offers ideal preparation for this test.
The language course starts at Level B2. For this reason, you do not only need a qualification to study based on your certificates but also proof of the German language skills you've already acquired. You should already have attended 800 hours of German lessons or have passed the Zertifikat Deutsch, Level B1 with the grade 'good'.
After admission to the language course, placement tests are held in mid-September and mid-January. If a participant fails to provide evidence of having a Level B1 command of German, he will be unable to enrol at Münster University of Applied Science or take the language course.
TestDaF preparatory courses begin in January and September each year, and last around 26 weeks. To ensure optimum learning success, regular attendance is obligatory.
The German Language Academy is a licenced test centre for TestDaF. After completing the course, you will take the TestDaF examination there and then apply for your chosen degree at Münster University of Applied Sciences.
Deadlines for application; fees
In order to apply, please submit your documents to Münster University of Applied Sciences
- by 31 May for the winter semester,
- by 30 November for the summer semester.
The fee for the course is just €300. In addition, participants pay around €260 for the semester fee.
If you have decided to apply for the language course, you must complete the 'application form for admission to studies'. Please enter the desired degree programme in Section 1. You only need to enter a field of study if the degree programme offers different branches. You do not need to enter your 2nd choice of degree programme. If you do enter your 2nd choice, this will only be considered if you are unable to gain a place on your 1st choice of degree programme.
If you are applying for the language course, please tick 'yes' in Section 7.
Applications are no longer subject to preliminary checks by Uni-Assist. Your documents are checked directly at Münster University of Applied Sciences, which also decides whether your qualification for admission to higher education is acceptable.
You can submit your documents in person to the Admission Office for International Admissions or send them to us by post. Online applications cannot be submitted at present.
Please ensure that your application documents are complete and that they are submitted to us by the deadline. You can submit your documents in person to the Admission Office for International Admissions or send them to us by post. Uni-Assist no longer carries out preliminary checks. All documents must be presented as officially certified copies in both the original language and translated into German (with the exception of English and French originals). Please submit your complete application dossier as early as possible. Online applications cannot be submitted at present.
Please do not submit any original certificates because they will not be returned to you!
The following documents are required for applications to the language course:
- application form for admission to studies
- curriculum vitae
- passport photo
- passport copy
- school-leaving certificate including a list of the grades achieved (secondary school certificate)
- if required, evidence of having passed a university entrance examinaton in the country of origin
- if required, evidence of successfully completed periods of study including the subjects and the grades achieved per semester as well as the final certificate, if the degree was completed
- Zertifikat Deutsch, Level B1, with the grade 'good' (at least an average score of 80 in Goethe Zertifikat B1)
Please tick 'yes' in section 7 of the application form, and enter in section 1 the degree programme that you would like to pursue after completion of the language course.