Changing your correpondence address

Please notify us immediately of any changes to your correspondence address. You can either change your address online, complete a form during office hours or send us the changes by post.

Enquiries by e-mail or post

If you have any further questions, you can also contact Münster University of Applied Sciences by e-mail or post. Your questions will be answered as quickly as possible.

Foreigners' Registration Office

Residence permits for Germany are issued by the Foreigners' Registration Office of the City of Münster. In order to obtain a residence permit, you must prove that you are able to completely finance your studies and associated monthly costs from your own means (proof of finance).

Ausländerbehörde der Stadt Münster
Stadthaus II, Ludgeriplatz 4, entrance Südstraße

48151 Münster

International applicants with German school-leaving certificates

If, despite being a foreign national, you gained your school-leaving certificate in Germany, as a foreigner with German education (Bildungsinländer) you will be treated as a German for application purposes. Please follow the link below.

Applicants from EU Member States

If you come from an EU Member State, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you have the same rights as German applicants and are treated as a German for application purposes (Bildungsinländer). The information for international applicants is only valid for you with regard to applications for the language course. If you would like to apply for a place on a degree programme, please follow the link below.

Application for transfer to a higher semester - changing universities or degree programmes

If you have already successfully studied a related discipline in your country of origin or in Germany, you may be able to transfer to a higher semester.

Please arrange an appointment with the examination office of the respective faculty. On the basis of your proof of academic achievement, it will then be decided which semester you can be enrolled in.

If at least one semester is credited to you, a certificate will be issued, which you have to submit along with the above-mentioned documents.


Important information for students changing disciplines or universities:

It is only possible to stay in Germany for the duration of your study. This consists of the standard period of study specified by your university, plus an additional three semesters, in the subject you have chosen and at the university you have chosen. This means by law it is not possible to change your course of study or university! If you intend to change your course or university for any reason, you should contact the Foreigners' Registration Office immediately to clarify whether an exception can be made in your case.

German applicants with international school-leaving certificates

If you have German nationality but gained your qualification for admission to higher education abroad, your application is processed - as with all other German applicants - in the Service Office for Students. Before applying, you must have your international qualification for admission to higher education recognised by the

Zentrale Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle der Bezirksregierung Düsseldorf
Postfach 30 08 65/ Cecilienallee 2
40408 Düsseldorf

The information for international applicants is only valid for you with regard to applications for the language course. If you would like to apply for a place on a degree programme, please follow the link below.

Dual nationality

If you possess dual nationality (i.e. if you have German nationality and that of another country), the application and admissions procedure for German nationals also applies to you. Please follow the link below.

Contact person

Ms. Langer is the contact person for international applicants to the language course or to a degree programme. This is the right port of call for you if you would like to apply and have foreign certificates or if you have completed a preparatory course before studies (Studienkolleg), if you are not a German national and do not come from an EU Member State. EU citizens can also apply here for the language course.

Münster University of Applied Sciences
International Admissions - Admissions Office
Johann-Krane-Weg 25, room 202
48149 Münster

Office hours:
Mon. to Thurs. 10.00 a.m. - 12.00 noon


You are expected to be able to completely finance your monthly costs of living (e.g. food, clothing, accommodation) amounting to around €650 from your own means. Furthermore, you must pay the semester fee of around €210 per semester. Your proof of finance, which does not need to be submitted to us, is only required by the Foreigners' Registration Office, which then issues your residence permit.

Semester fee

The semester fee for summer semester 2011 is €207.49. This amount is expected to increase slightly each semester.
This fee is made up of a contribution to the Studentenwerk, the student body, which represents the interests of all enrolled students, and for use of buses and trains (semester ticket).

Preparatory course before studies (Studienkolleg)

If the qualifications gained in your home country do not permit direct access to higher education, you must take an assessment test in a preparatory course prior to taking up your studies. Unfortunately, the state preparatory courses in North Rhine-Westphalia no longer exist. You may still apply for the T course to the officially recognised Studienkolleg Bochum. 

Applications for various courses are still possible for the preparatory course for luso-Brazilian students in Mettingen. 

There will still be preparatory courses in other German federal states. 

Preparation for the assessment test generally takes two semesters. A subject-specific course is chosen, depending on the discipline you wish to study. Please bear in mind that you can only pursue studies in the subject of your chosen subject-specific course. If you decide you would like to study something else, you will have to sit an additional examination.

The following subject-specific courses are offered:
- T course: preparation for engineering, mathematics and natural science degree programmes
- M course: preparation for medicine and biology degree programmes
- W course: preparation for economics and social science degree programmes
- G course: humanities and artistic degree programmes; German studies
- S course: language degree programmes (with the exception of German)


In order to enter Germany to study you need a student visa. A tourist visa will not suffice. Please ask the responsible German embassy or consular representation about the relevant entry requirements well before your departure.

Easy-entry requirements exist for citizens of EU Member States, Monaco, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Honduras, the USA and the Dominican Republic.


Due to the tight housing market, it is still difficult for students to find rooms and apartments. Places in student residences are allocated by the Housing Department of the Studentenwerk Münster. Application forms can be requested from the Studentenwerk Münster in writing. You may only apply if you have already enrolled to Münster University of Applied Sciences or if you have confirmation of having gained a place. Please bear in mind that waiting lists exist!

Housing Administration of the Studentenwerk:
Bismarckallee 5, Postfach 7629, 48041 Münster
Tel: (0251) 83-79504, -79505, -79506, -79507, -79509, -79514, -79645, -79546, -79549
Fax: (0251) 83-79597
Office hours: Mon - Thurs 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 noon

The Students' Union Executive Committees (AStA) of the University of Münster and Münster University of Applied Sciences and the university chaplaincies also run accommodation agencies, which are free of charge:

- AstA of the University of Münster, Accommodation Agency and Agency for Arranged Lifts

Domagkstr. 51 (in Canteen II), 48149 Münster, Tel: (0251) 83-32222
Office hours: Mon - Fri 10.00 a.m. - 3.00 p.m., Mon - Thurs 5.00 p.m. - 8.00 p.m.

- Catholic Student Chaplaincy (ISG/KHG) of the University of Münster and Münster University of Applied Sciences

Frauenstr. 3-7, 48149 Münster, Tel: (0251) 4130-0
Office hours: Mon - Fri 9.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m., Mon - Thurs 2.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m.

- Wohnraum-Interessen e.V. (Wohn-In)
Hammer Str. 26c, 48153 Münster,

Tel. (0251) 523021

Another way of finding accommodation is to refer to the small ads in the local newspapers and magazines.

Admissions restrictions

Degree programmes that have a higher number of applicants than places available are subject to admissions restrictions. Whether a degree programme is subject to admissions restrictions depends on demand, which varies from semester to semester.

Ten per cent of the stipulated number of admissions are reserved for international applicants. Selections are made on the basis of the average grade and a country-related quota. Whether you receive a place depends initially on the number of applications received. If the number of applications is lower than the number of places available, grades and quotas are not taken into consideration.

If the number of applications is higher than the number of places available, your chances depend on your own average grade, as well as that of the other applicants, and the number of applicants from your country. For this reason, it is difficult to predict the likelihood of you gaining a place beforehand.

Um unsere Webseite für Sie optimal zu gestalten und fortlaufend verbessern zu können, verwenden wir Cookies. Weitere Informationen und die Möglichkeit zum Widerruf finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.
Seite drucken