Qualification for admission to higher education

Not all international school-leaving certificates entitle their holders to study in Germany. This is why the higher education institution first has to check your qualification for admission to higher education, i.e. we determine whether you are permitted to study here on the basis of your certificates. If your school-leaving certificate is not sufficient, a successful higher education entrance examination and/or one to three years of studying a subject relevant to the degree programme for which you are applying at an approved foreign higher education institution may entitle you to apply for a place - depending on your country of origin.

If your do not meet these requirements, there is often the chance to attend a preparatory course before studies (Studienkolleg) in Germany and to prove your ability to study by passing an assessment test. Not only does the preparatory course improve your proficiency in German - it also conveys specialist knowledge in different subject-related courses.

Please note that we do not process applications for the preparatory course before studies (Studienkolleg).  

German skills

Applicants from countries where German is not officially spoken need sufficient command of German to enable them to understand what is being said in lectures and other courses. For this reason, applicants must prove they have passed a recognised German proficiency test prior to taking up studies.
Münster University of Applied Sciences offers preparatory German language courses for the TestDaf examination, Level B2 and above, in cooperation with the language school Kapito. The admission requirements to these language courses include proof of having had at least 800 lessons of German or the 'Zertifikat Deutsch B1', with the grade 'good'.

Placement tests are held after admission to the language course in mid-September and mid-January. If you fail to achieve the required B1 Level, you cannot enrol to Münster University of Applied Sciences and may not participate in the language courses.

The following certificates are also recognised as proof of sufficient command of German:

  • a TestDaF (German as a Foreign Language Test) level 4
  • DSH (German language test for admission to higher education), level 2
  • "Deutsches Sprachdiplom (level II) of the KMK" (taken at German schools abroad)
  • "Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom" or "Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom" from the Goethe Institute
  • "Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung" (ZOP) from the Goethe Institute
  • "Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom"
  • "telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule"
  • UNICERT Certificate Levels III or IV for German (at universities)
  • ÖSD Zertifikat C2
  • Aptitute test in the preparatory course before studies (Studienkolleg), minimum grade 4 in German

You can only be admitted to a degree programme once you have proven sufficient command of German by passing one of these examinations, and have met all other requirements. A new application must be submitted to apply for a place on a degree programme.

TestDaF - German as a Foreign Language Test

The TestDaF examination can be taken at various test centres throughout Germany and the rest of the world. Further information can be found on the web (see link below). Your reading comprehension, listening comprehension, written expression and oral expression skills are tested and graded at Level 3, 4 or 5. Level 3 corresponds to DSH-1, Level 4 (total of 16) is equivalent to DSH-2 and Level 5 corresponds to DSH-3. None of the examination parts may be graded with a level "below 3".

Generally the TestDaF-4 or DSH-2 is required to start with a study programme.

Work placement

In some degree programs, a work placement related to the desired degree program must be completed before admission to the program. The work placement certificate must contain clear details about the length of the work placement and the tasks performed.

Information is given at the range of degree programs. For further information, please consult the faculty's website. 

Artistic/creative aptitude

Before taking up studies in the degree programmes of Architecture and Design you have to prove your artistic aptitude for these programmes. Please register online for these tests. For further information on aptitude tests, please contact the respective faculty.

Aptitude test/ selection procedure

In some degree programs, an application can only be made after passing an aptitude test or a selection procedure

An overview of the requirements for each degree programme can be found at the range of degree programmes. Further information on the procedure can be found on the respective faculty's website.

Remarks for applicants from China and Vietnam

All applicants with Chinese or Vietnamese certificates must enclose a certificate issued by the Academic Test Centre with their application, otherwise applications cannot be considered.
The Academic Test Centres in Beijing and Hanoi check applicants' documents and eligibility for admission to higher education, and conduct interviews with applicants.
Candidates are then given a certificate that also gives them access to an accelerated visa procedure.
Only original certificates and documents will be accepted!

The address of the Academic Test Centre in China is:
Akademische Prüfstelle des Kulturreferats
der Deutschen Botschaft in Peking
Landmark Tower 2; Office 0311
Dongsanhuan Beilu 8
Chaoyang District
10004 Beijing
Tel.: +86/10/65907138
Fax: +86/10/65907140

Um unsere Webseite für Sie optimal zu gestalten und fortlaufend verbessern zu können, verwenden wir Cookies. Weitere Informationen und die Möglichkeit zum Widerruf finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.
Seite drucken