Energy, Building and Environmental Engineering (Part-time) (Master)
|Degree||Master of Engineering (M. Eng.)|
|Department||Faculty of Energy · Building Services · Environmental Engineering|
|Special type of study||part-time, executive|
|Intake||Winter semester & summer semester|
|Standard period of study||7 semesters|
|Semester fee||€293.44 / semester|
Requirements and application
|Admissions restrictions||No local entrance restrictions|
|Additional entrance requirements|
First professional degree:
You must demonstrate that you have at least 12 weeks’ practical experience. A relevant practical stage of the same duration completed during your undergraduate degree will be recognised if it took place in the second half of the degree programme. The time spent preparing for a practice-related final thesis may also count towards this time. The practical stage must be completed before starting the programme, and must be verified upon enrolment.
|Application||It is not possible|
to apply at present.
Detailed description of the degree programme
The changing energy market, the growing importance of environmental technologies and the high consumption of energy by buildings – these are just some of the challenges addressed by energy, building and environmental engineering experts. In our degree programme, you will expand your knowledge in a targeted manner.
In our Master’s programme, you will enhance your technical knowledge of energy, building and environmental engineering. We see skills acquisition as an interdisciplinary task: in addition to expertise in the subject itself, our programme will also help you to develop your social skills.
After completing this programme, you may work, for example, as a technical manager for a utility company, as an engineer in research and development or in a governmental agency (such as a building authority or environmental authority). The degree will also enable you to enter the senior civil service, and is the formal requirement for pursuing doctoral studies.
- Fields of activity for graduates in energy engineering:
- Energy consulting
- Planning offices for energy systems
- Energy management
- Development departments
- Fields of activity for graduates in building services engineering:
- Engineering companies
- Manufacturers of technical building systems
- Operators of real estate and buildings
- Development departments
- Fields of activity for graduates in environmental engineering:
- Water supply
- Waste water treatment
- Waste disposal companies
- Remediation of contaminated sites
Content and course sequence
Our part-time Master’s programme will enable you to optimally combine your family life with your career. We offer many lectures and seminars in the form of short intensive block classes that we schedule in consultation with you.
The course of study takes seven semesters, and consists of basic and specialisation modules. Some of the basic modules you will take include Electrical Energy Systems, Applied Thermodynamics, and Statistics.
In the specialisation modules, you will enhance your knowledge in your area of specialisation:
- Energy Engineering covers aspects from the provision, transport and management of energy – for example, involving the simulation and assessment of hydraulic networks.
- Building Services Engineering, on the other hand, covers the management and operation of HVAC technology or drinking water installations and property drainage systems. You will gain expertise in energy analysis and utilise simulation technologies for buildings and installations.
- The key areas in Environmental Engineering include ecological assessment and management systems, process engineering in water treatment, waste management and logistics, and environmental and water protection.
You will complete the programme in the seventh semester, concluding with a colloquium and your Master’s thesis.
Why choose us
Our department offers a level of interdisciplinarity and thematic depth that is second to none in Germany. The technical modules in our Master’s programme combine topics related to supply and disposal in various ways. You will also be able to gain business and management skills, enhancing your job prospects.