Biomedical Engineering (Bachelor)
|Degree||Bachelor of Science (B. Sc.)|
|Department||Department of Engineering Physics|
|Special type of study||full-time|
|Standard period of study||6 semesters|
|Semester fee||€293.44 / semester|
Requirements and application
|Admissions restrictions||No local entrance restrictions|
|Application||The closing date for applications|
is on 15.08.2019.
Detailed description of the degree programme
Biomedical engineering is one of the most innovative key technologies. Our programme in Biomedical engineering will qualify you to become a developer of innovative technologies. You will learn not only the mathematics and science skills you need, but also a comprehensive set of practical skills to use technology for the benefit of people. Teaching takes place not only in the lecture hall, but also in our modern labs. Furthermore, our numerous contacts with industry open the doors to hands-on business experience during your time at university.
After obtaining your degree, you will have a broad basis of knowledge and skills in science and engineering. This will make you a versatile problem-solver who is able to develop products in many different fields without assistance, as well as analyse technical problems and tackle them in a structured manner. Your specialisations will be biomedical engineering. In addition, you will learn how to conduct and present academic work during your degree programme. You will also develop your ability to work in a team and prepare for working in an international environment.
As a versatile asset with a comprehensive set of skills, you will have the possibility to work in a wide range of exciting fields: in medical device technology, biotechnology, hospital technology and laboratory diagnostics or perhaps in biomechatronics, medical informatics and occupational, environmental and radiation protection. You will have good prospects of finding a job in vocational training or sales and product management or of becoming self-employed.
Alternatively, you may continue with a Master’s programme as a follow-up to your Bachelor’s degree, or even continue to doctoral studies.
Content and course sequence
In Biomedical Engineering, you will start with subjects such as physics, chemistry, computer science and mathematics. In addition, fundamentals of human biology, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering are included in the curriculum. From the third semester, you will take specialist modules. In these modules, you will learn how physical and chemical influences affect the human body and the consequences this has, for example, on the construction of CT scanners.
In the sixth semester, you will write your Bachelor thesis and complete a three-month work placement in industry or in a hospital, enabling you to establish contacts with potential employers as a student, gain your first work experience and pave the way to business life. Alternatively, you will have access to our Master’s programme in „Biomedical Engineering“ and „Materials Science and Engineering“.
Why choose us
We support your learning processes:
- Individual coaching programmes and an introductory course in mathematics will ease your transition to university.
- Small study groups enable intensive exchange between students, while you will always have close contacts with teaching staff.
- Student mentors and tutors offer training groups and exam preparation courses.
We provide modern equipment and are strong in research:
- We have comprehensive equipment available to you: electron and scanning probe microscopes to develop new functional materials, a robot screening system, an operating theatre to test newly developed medical devices, a lab for biotechnology and genetic engineering, a lab for orthopaedic technology, laser systems for industrial materials processing, a lab for laser development for satellite-based telecommunications, measuring equipment for nanotechnology and mainframe computer systems for the simulation of processes.
- Our extensive research activities will enable you to participate in demanding projects − many of which are organised in cooperation with partners from industry and the business world. Moreover, we have several research institutions on campus – a laser centre, the EUREGIO Biotech Center, the Centre for Medical Engineering, the Institute for Optical Technologies and the Institute of Functional and Construction Materials.
We offer you more than technology:
- Our cooperative activities with universities and companies in numerous European countries, the USA, Brazil and Australia will enable you to participate in international exchange projects and to write your Bachelor thesis abroad.
- In addition to the technical content, you will have the opportunity to complete your profile with interdisciplinary modules such as Technical Foreign Languages and Basics of Business Administration.