Real Estate and Facility Management (Bachelor)
|Degree||Bachelor of Science (B. Sc.)|
|Department||Department of Food · Nutrition · Facilities|
|Standard period of study||6 semesters|
|Semester fee||€298,24 / semester (winter term 20/21)|
Requirements and application
|Admissions restrictions||Local entrance restrictions|
|Application||Application period for international (non-EU) applicants without a German qualification for admission to higher education:|
2 July - 31 July 2020
Application period for German and EU-applicants:
2 July - 20 August 2020
Detailed description of the degree programme
As a facility manager, you will be a jack of all trades. You will have knowledge from five disciplines: business administration, architecture, civil engineering, energy engineering and building services engineering. You will develop ideas, for example, to reduce a building’s energy consumption and to calculate operating costs for decades. Or you will use your entire expertise and experience to make employees feel comfortable at their workplace.
We want to prepare you well for your profession. For this reason, you will acquire specialist knowledge in addition to key transferable skills, including project management and dealing professionally with customers, as well as presentation techniques and specialised seminar units in English.
The degree programme lays the foundation for a career in an engineering company, a consultancy, a service provider and in many other areas of the real estate industry. Facility managers support customers, advise companies on reorganising their offices or are responsible for managing whole building complexes.
Content and course sequence
- The Bachelor programme starts by ensuring you have a sound basic knowledge. In the first semester, you will learn the fundamentals of facility management, including business administration, engineering and science.
- From the second to the fifth semester, you will acquire special skills in three core areas: infrastructural, technical and commercial facility management.
You will learn how to manage a construction project, how to use powerful software for your ideas and how to run a company successfully. In addition, you will deal with real estate law and marketing.
- Practical projects, case studies and field trips will form another pillar of your degree programme. You will acquire application-oriented knowledge through specific examples. Simultaneously, you will have the opportunity to test your expertise practically, for example by performing tasks typically undertaken by a consulting firm and by developing planning and tender documents under the direction of lecturers.
- Studium Generale
In the Studium Generale, we offer you a range of small lectures you can enrol for without grade pressure and according to your strengths. These courses include job application training, IT workshops, specialist lectures and visiting trade fairs. In this way, you will also practice your soft skills, increasing your chances of getting the desired job.
In the sixth semester, you will complete an 11-week block of practice in a company of your choice. During this work placement, you will discover how fascinating it is to work as a facility manager in a team with experts from all kinds of areas, elaborating solutions together. When you conclude your studies, you can bring your expertise and practical experience to bear on your Bachelor thesis, often in close cooperation with a company from the industry. Related to this, you can benefit from our network of practice partners and your contacts established during the block of practice.
Why choose us
- Holistic study concept: The degree programme is based on an interdisciplinary and overarching concept. Thanks to the holistic orientation of the content, this study concept differs considerably from most facility management programmes offered by other universities.
- Employment prospects: Graduates from our programme in Facility Management are in high demand. The industry is continuously growing and therefore the demand for qualified specialists is also increasing. We maintain an intensive network with companies of the sector, so that you can already establish valuable contacts with potential employers whilst still at university.
- Practice orientation: Our partners in the field support us in further developing the content of the Bachelor programme continuously. In addition, visiting lecturers from the sector contribute valuable insights on current market issues to the lectures.