Business Management in Technology, subject area Electrical Engineering (Bachelor)
|Degree||Bachelor of Science (B. Sc.)|
|Department||Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Institute of Business Administration & Engineering|
|Standard period of study||6 semesters|
|Semester fee||€ 293,44 / semester|
Requirements and application
|Admissions restrictions||No local entrance restrictions|
|Application||The closing date for applications|
is on 15.08.2019.
Detailed description of the degree programme
Long-term business success requires integrated management. In technically oriented companies in particular, executives should therefore not only think and act with an eye to business – they should also have an understanding of their company’s core business. Our Bachelor programme in Business Management in Technology focusing on Electrical Engineering will equip you with the necessary cross-divisional knowledge.
Our degree programme combines business thinking with technical expertise. You will gain a sound knowledge of economics and engineering sciences, obtaining a combined qualification sought out by both business and industry. After completing your degree, you will be able to integrate multiple sectors: you will build bridges between the disciplines and establish valuable connections – not only in terms of content, but also between the different teams in the company.
Technically experienced specialists who also know how to assess interrelations across diverse areas are in high demand in the job market. As an industrial engineer, you will correspond exactly to this requirement profile. Your career prospects – and salary – will be better than average. Typical occupational fields include technical sales, product management, and production planning.
Content and course sequence
Our Bachelor programme is divided into different modules, enabling you to tailor your academic career individually. The degree programme consists of two different lines with regard to content. The business elements are provided by the Institute of Business Administration and Engineering (ITB); our department is responsible for the engineering elements. Both lines are closely linked from the beginning. In the first two semesters, you will acquire a basic knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering, as well as a fundamental knowledge of business administration.
At the beginning of the course, you will explore basic subjects on the engineering side including mathematics and physics, as well as electrical engineering, computer science and electronics. You will also learn the basics of business administration. For the third semester, you will choose one of our specialisations according to your interests:
- Automation Technology: Automation Technology is the basis of contemporary industrial production. Using sensors, electric drives and smart control systems, this technology ensures that products are manufactured in a cost-effective, energy-efficient way. In this specialisation, you will deal with control engineering and the interconnection of plants via bus systems. With a high degree of practical relevance, you will programme the processes of a model factory and teach a robot how to recognise objects.
- Renewable Energies: Renewable energies have developed to become a mainstay of our supply of energy. In this specialisation, you will learn about the structure of wind turbines and deal with energy storage devices. In the solar lab, you will examine solar modules and inverters, and plan photovoltaic systems. In order to ensure the energy generated will reach the customer, you will design energy grids of the future.
- Embedded Engineering: How can hardware and software be synchronised in order to find the optimum solution for a given technical problem? Which chip is the most effective one for the software? Does the software know the CPU it runs on best? These are the questions tackled in Embedded Engineering. Gaining a sound knowledge of hardware-relevant subjects including bus systems, circuitry and computer architecture is therefore an equally important aim of the training as gaining expertise in software development.
- Information Technology/Communications Engineering: Whether mobile technology, navigation or multimedia applications – all these topics are addressed in this specialisation. You will study the structure of contemporary communications systems, design electronic circuits, including the construction of circuit boards, programme microprocessors, and examine the characteristics of antennae.
Why choose us
According to our students, outstanding features of our department include:
- Positive interaction between students and the teaching staff
- Excellent organisation of studies
- Wide range of support programmes in basic engineering subjects: preparatory courses, tutorials and mentors
- Practice-oriented and high-quality equipment, from the current FPGA board to the industrial robot
- A highly practical approach.