Business Management in Technology, subject area Energy and Environmental Engineering (Bachelor)
|Degree||Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng.)|
|Department||Faculty of Energy · Building Services · Environmental Engineering , Institute of Business Administration & Engineering|
|Standard period of study||6 semesters|
|Semester fee||€ 276,21 / semester|
Requirements and application
|Admissions restrictions||Local entrance restrictions|
|Pre-study placement||Before being able to enrol on this Bachelor programme, you must have completed an eight-week pre-study placement. The placement must generally be completed before pursuing your degree programme, and must be verified upon enrolment. Any remaining time must be made up for as soon as possible; as a rule, suitable proof must usually be presented by the time lectures begin in the third semester.|
|Application||The next application phase|
commences in Mai 2018.
Detailed description of the degree programme
Long-term business success requires integrated management. In technically oriented companies in particular, executives should therefore not only think and act with an eye to business – they should also have an understanding of their company’s core business. Our Bachelor programme in Business Management in Technology focusing on Energy and Environmental Engineering will equip you with the necessary multidisciplinary knowledge.
Our degree programme combines business thinking with technical expertise. You will gain a sound knowledge of economics and engineering sciences, obtaining a combined qualification sought out by both business and industry. After completing your degree, you will be able to integrate multiple sectors: you will build bridges between the disciplines and establish valuable connections – not only in terms of content, but also between the different teams in the company.
Technically experienced specialists who also know how to assess interrelations across diverse areas are in high demand in the job market. As an industrial engineer, you will correspond exactly to this requirement profile. Your career prospects – and salary – will be better than average. Typical employers are public utilities and their suppliers of components and systems. In addition, you may work in a planning office or a consulting firm, or perhaps in marketing and technical sales.
Not least, your Bachelor’s degree will enable you to pursue postgraduate studies. Our department offers a variety of Master’s programmes:
- Technical Management in Energy, Building and Environmental Engineering
- Energy, Building and Environmental Engineering (Master)
Content and course sequence
Our Bachelor programme is divided into different modules, enabling you to tailor your academic career individually. The degree programme consists of two different lines with regard to content. The business elements are provided by the Institute of Business Administration and Engineering (ITB); our department is responsible for the engineering elements.
Both lines are closely linked from the beginning. In the first two semesters, you will acquire basic knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering, as well as a fundamental knowledge of business administration.
In the third semester, you will choose your engineering specialisation – Energy, Building and Environmental Engineering – while developing your profile with modules on topics such as Human Resources, International Management or Patents. In business simulations, communication training and project management exercises, you will learn how to apply your expertise more specifically.
After the fifth semester, the practical part of your degree programme will begin. You can choose between two variants:
- In the sixth semester, you will carry out a 12-week block of practice. You will then write your Bachelor thesis and finish your degree in the same semester.
- You will use the whole sixth semester to gain practical experience. In this case, you will write a project report in the seventh semester before completing your degree course with a Bachelor thesis.
Why choose us
- Small work groups: Industrial engineers are team players. Your degree programme will prepare you for such an environment. Working in small groups will not only help you to learn more effectively, it will also enable you to continually stretch your boundaries. In addition, work in teams will improve your creativity and communication skills – equally important qualifications for your future work at the juncture between these two disciplines.
- Relevance to practice: Our department has excellent links within the sector. In work placements, field trips and project work, you will be able to apply and enhance your knowledge and participate in demanding research projects, enabling you to establish contacts with the industry at an early stage.
- Supervision: As a student at our department, you will be part of a lively community on the Steinfurt Campus. We attach great importance to providing you with optimum support throughout your studies. Our well-established tutoring programme will assist you in your learning processes. Moreover, our network of former students ensures that you will be well informed about current trends.